Child Protection Investigation
CPI encompasses two goals: 1) the investigation of child abuse and neglect and 2) the provision of short-term, concrete services to children and families.
- Report Child Abuse - Call 1-855-4LA-KIDS (1-855-452-5437) toll free 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.
- What is Child Abuse or Neglect?
- Family Services - services, which are provided to families and children in their own homes in order to address problems of abuse/neglect and promote the safety of the children within the family unit.
- Who are Mandated Reporters?
- Being a Foster Parent - Foster Care is a protective service provided to children in the custody of the Department of Children & Family Services. It provides substitute, temporary care (e.g., foster family home, residential care facility, etc.) for a planned period of time when a child must be separated from his own parents or relatives.
- Adoption Services - Seeks adoptive home placement of children who are in the Department of Children & Family Services’ custody and are legally free for adoption.
- Out-of-state Certification
- Petition Services - Staff conduct investigations of all independent adoptions including stepparent, grandparent, one parent and non-relative adoptions to determine the availability of the child and the suitability of the adoptive home, including reporting to the courts the findings of these investigations and assisting the families in obtaining revised birth certificates.
- Family Team Meetings - Family Team Meetings bring together a family and interested people with resources from child welfare, mental health, schools, and other helping agencies. These interested parties work together to learn what the family hopes to accomplish, set realistic and important goals, recognize and encourage the family's strengths, identify what the family needs, find solutions that build on the family's strengths and lead to necessary changes, make a plan for who will do what and when it will be done, and agree on the next steps.
- Reunion Registry - The Louisiana Adoption Registry is a registry established by the Department of Children & Family Services to facilitate voluntary contact between adult adoptees, their birth parents and/or siblings.
|DCFS launched the "Faith in Families" initiative which seeks to safely reducing the number of children in foster care, reducing the amount of time children spend in foster care and ensuring that all children exiting foster care do so with a permanent connection.|
|By leaving a baby they are unable to care for in the care of an employee at a Safe Haven facility, parents can give up custody of a baby under 60 days old with no questions asked.
The Louisiana Department of Children and Family Services urges you to sleep safe and sleep sound by following these guidelines:
- Your baby sleeps safest in his or her own bed
- Never sleep with your baby on a couch
- Never in an arm chair or with a pillow
- Never on a waterbed
- Never sleep with a baby or toddler while under the influence of medication, alcohol or drugs
For more information, click here.
- E-mail the DCFS Webmaster.