Help us protect Louisiana's children. Report Child Abuse & Neglect: 1-855-4LA-KIDS (1-855-452-5437) toll-free, 24 hours a day, seven days a week
Hurricane Delta: Foster Caregiver Support Line
Foster caregiver support line available for emergencies related to Hurricane Delta. Please call 225-772-1356 if you need emergency assistance.
|Interested in becoming a Foster Caregiver? We need you!
Due to concerns about the spread of the COVID-19 virus, please contact your regional DCFS Home Development office for the most up-to-date information on orientation and training if you are interested in becoming a foster caregiver.
COVID-19 Guidance for Foster Parents
DCFS is committed to the safety of our children, families and our foster/kin caregivers. View the most up-to-date information about our response to COVID-19 and how that impacts the role of foster/kin caregivers.
Foster parents play a special role in the life of a child who, because of abuse, neglect or sexual victimization, has had to leave their family.
Become a Foster Parent
Foster Care is a protective service provided to children in custody of the Department of Children and Family Services. It provides substitute, temporary care (e.g., foster family home, residential care facility, etc.) for a planned period of time when a child must be separated from his or her own parents or relatives.
About Being a Foster Parent
- Introduction to Foster Parenting
- Common Questions about Foster and Adoptive Parenting
- Am I Ready To Be A Foster/ Adoptive Parent Quiz
- Become a Foster Parent Booklet
- Code of Ethics for Foster Parents
- Minimum Qualifications for Certification/Steps to Certification
- Required Documents for Certification
- Where To Go To Get Started
- Orientation, Pre-Service Training Schedules
- Are you currently a certified foster/adoptive parent? If your response is yes, visit DCFS' new Provider Portal. Once registered, you will have the ability to: 1) upload/download documents; 2) submit Expenditure Affidavit - Form 435; 3) review board/expenditure history.
- Interested in becoming a certified foster/adoptive parent? Visit DCFS' new Provider Portal to submit an: 1) Inquiry; 2) Application; and 3) Expenditure Affidavit - Form 435. This feature also allows a user to upload and/or download documentation necessary for certification.
Additional Information & Supportive Services
- Louisiana Foster and Adoptive Parents Association
- Foster Care
- Foster Parent Handbook
- Department of Education Parent Resource
- Interstate Compact on the Placement of Children
Questions? Email the Foster Care Program