Help us protect Louisiana's children. Report Child Abuse & Neglect: 1-855-4LA-KIDS (1-855-452-5437) toll-free, 24 hours a day, seven days a week

SNAP Replacement Benefits FAQs


What help is available if I lose food because of a disaster?

  • In the event of a disaster, DCFS can authorize SNAP replacement benefits if the household loses food purchased with SNAP benefits. If the food loss is due to a power outage, the power must have been out for a minimum of 24 consecutive hours. DCFS works with the Louisiana Public Service Commission to obtain reports of specific areas of power outages. If DCFS cannot verify a household's power outage through these reports, SNAP recipients may be asked for verification of their power loss.
  • Please note: To be eligible for replacement SNAP benefits for food lost as a result of Tropical Storm Olga, you must have received SNAP benefits in October 2019.

How do I apply for replacement SNAP benefits?

  • Fastest Option: On or before Thursday, Nov. 7, 2019, report the food loss to DCFS by turning in a completed and signed SNAP 38 Form (Spanish | Vietnamese) in one of the following ways:
    • Scan and upload the form to CAFÉ; or
    • Send it to the Document Processing Center by mail to DPC, P.O. Box 260031, Baton Rouge, LA 70826, or by fax to 225-663-3164; or
    • If you cannot upload, mail or fax the form, bring it to your nearest DCFS Economic Stability office. A list of DCFS offices can be found at
  • Alternative:  If you cannot get the completed and signed form to us before Thursday, Nov. 7, 2019, then you must do BOTH of the following to report your loss and send in the required form:
    • Call 1-888-524-3578 by Thursday, Nov. 7, and provide your parish, dollar value of food loss, and length of time without power.
    • AND, within 10 days of reporting the loss to DCFS by phone call, send your completed and signed SNAP 38 Form (Spanish | Vietnamese) to DCFS, as described above.
  • NOTE:  In keeping with federal regulations, DCFS cannot process a SNAP Replacement request until we receive a signed SNAP 38 Form. The sooner we receive the form, the sooner the request will be processed and the benefits will be issued.

What if I can't download and print the form? Where else can I get it?

  • SNAP 38 Forms are also available at DCFS Economic Stability offices. If you cannot get to an office, you can call 1-888-524-3578 to request that a form be mailed to you.

How much will I receive in replacement benefits?

  • The value of the replacement benefit shall be an amount equal to the value of the lost food purchased with SNAP benefits, up to the maximum of one month of the household's SNAP benefits. If eligible, the replacement benefits are added to the SNAP household's regular EBT card.

How soon will I receive my replacement benefits?

  • If eligible for replacement benefits, you will receive them on your EBT card within 10 days of your reporting the loss or within two days of DCFS receiving your completed and signed form (SNAP 38 Form | Spanish | Vietnamese), whichever is later. Note: If the completed and signed SNAP 38 form is the only report of your loss that DCFS receives, then benefits would be loaded on your card within 10 days of receipt of the form.

How do I get answers to additonal questions?



SNAP Nondiscrimination Statement

In accordance with federal civil rights law and U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) civil rights regulations and policies, the USDA, its agencies, offices and employees, and institutions participating in or administering USDA programs are prohibited from discriminating based on race, color, national origin, sex, religious creed, disability, age, political beliefs, or reprisal or retaliation for prior civil rights activity in any program or activity conducted or funded by USDA.

Persons with disabilities who require alternative means of communication for program information (e.g., Braille, large print, audiotape, American Sign Language, etc.) should contact the agency (state or local) where they applied for benefits. Individuals who are deaf, hard of hearing or have speech disabilities may contact USDA through the Federal Relay Service at (800) 877-8339. Additionally, program information may be made available in languages other than English.

To file a program complaint of discrimination, complete the USDA Program Discrimination Complaint Form (AD-3027) found online at: How to File a Complaint, and at any USDA office, or write a letter addressed to USDA and provide in the letter all of the information requested in the form. To request a copy of the complaint form, call (866) 632-9992. Submit your completed form or letter to USDA by:

  1. Mail: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Office of the Assistant Secretary for Civil Rights, 1400 Independence Ave. SW, Washington, D.C. 20250-9410;
  2. Fax: (202) 690-7442; or
  3. Email:

This institution is an equal opportunity provider.