Help us protect Louisiana's children. Report Child Abuse & Neglect: 1-855-4LA-KIDS (1-855-452-5437) toll-free, 24 hours a day, seven days a week
Disaster Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (DSNAP)
DSNAP - May 2021 Flooding
The Louisiana Department of Children and Family Services (DCFS) received approval to begin virtual Disaster Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (DSNAP) operations for impacted ZIP codes of five parishes affected by severe storms, flooding and tornadoes on May 17-21, 2021. The DSNAP applications for those impacted will be accepted from Monday, June 21, to Friday, June 25, 2021.
Approved Parishes & ZIP Codes
The areas approved for DSNAP only include the following ZIP codes in the parishes of Ascension, Calcasieu, East Baton Rouge, Iberville and Lafayette:
- Ascension Parish: 70734, 70737, 70769
- Calcasieu Parish: 70601, 70605, 70607, 70615
- East Baton Rouge Parish: 70802, 70805, 70808, 70809, 70810, 70815, 70816, 70817, 70819
- Iberville Parish: *70721, 70764, 70776, 70780, 70788
- Lafayette Parish: 70501, 70503, 70506, 70507, 70520,
* ZIP code 70721 received federal approval on 6/22/21.
What Applicants Need to Know
The application period will run from Monday, June 21, through Friday, June 25, 2021.
Residents in the approved parish ZIP codes can call the LAHelpU Customer Service Center, 1-888-524-3578 (select language, then press 3-3-1), between the hours of 7:30 a.m. and 6:30 p.m., to apply and be interviewed for DSNAP benefits.
Translation services are available for individuals whose primary language is not English.
Choose the following options in the automated menus. Do not key in all three numbers at once. Choose one option at a time in sequence.
- 1st Option Menu - Press 1
- 2nd Option Menu - Press 3
- 3rd Option Menu - Press 3
Residents are encouraged, but not required, to take the following steps before calling to apply for DSNAP:
- Pre-register online first. Step-by-step instructions for this can be found on the DSNAP pre-registration page.
- Download the LA Wallet mobile app for identity and residency verification. Click here for information on the app, including download links.
- Gather all information needed for the application. A list of what is needed can be found on the DSNAP FAQ page.
Residents who pre-registered or applied for DSNAP anytime since March 2020, do not need to pre-register again but will need to CALL to apply for benefits to be considered.
SNAP Recipient Eligibility
Individuals who began receiving SNAP benefits after the storm can apply for DSNAP benefits.
- Residents who received SNAP benefits in May 2021 ARE NOT eligible.
- Residents who began to receive SNAP benefits after May 2021 MAY BE eligible.
- The latest information about SNAP benefits can be found at www.dcfs.la.gov/page/snap-updates.
May 2021 Flooding - DSNAP Application Flyers
SNAP Recipients Not Eligible for DSNAP
SNAP recipients are not typically eligible for DSNAP and should not apply. In the event of a disaster, if SNAP recipients are eligible for additional benefits, those benefits will be handled through a separate process.
|DCFS Customer Service Chatbot - Try it!|
|DCFS is building a chatbot that can provide quick answers to questions about our food assistance programs. It's a work in progress, but we invite you to try it. Help us perfect this exciting new customer service tool.|