Help us protect Louisiana's children. Report Child Abuse & Neglect: 1-855-4LA-KIDS (1-855-452-5437) toll-free, 24 hours a day, seven days a week

About Us

Call Center Announcement

We are experiencing long delays and disconnects on the DCFS Customer Service Center Helpline (888-524-3578). When a delay or disconnect occurs, DO NOT call our Child Abuse line! Workers who take these calls cannot help you unless you are reporting abuse or neglect of a child.

Please see the following tips that may help expedite your customer service request:

  • Log into your CAFÉ Portal for up-to-date information regarding your case. This information is the same information that is available to your worker. If you have not created a CAFÉ log-in, please visit our website at

  • If you unsuccessfully attempted to reset your CAFÉ account password using the links at

    • The DCFS Customer Service Team can assist you in your password reset. Please email LAHelpU.dcfs@LA.GOV with the following information:

      • Name
      • User Name
      • Address (for verification purposes)
      • DOB
      • Case Number *
      • Phone number

        * For SNAP clients, your CID# is located on your EBT card. It is the small number listed underneath your 16 digit card number. For child support clients, your case number is your LASES #. This can be located on most documents that have been sent to you.

  • You can report SNAP changes several ways:

    • The quickest way is to log into your CAFÉ account and select Report Changes.

    • You may also send your request in writing to:

      • DCFS Economic Stability
        P.O. Box 260031
        Baton Rouge, LA 70826

      • By fax:  225-663-3164
  • If you have lost or need to reset your SNAP EBT Card, please call 1-888-997-1117.
  • Child support customers can email their caseworker by logging into their customer portal:

    • 1.   Sign in using your LA CAFÉ account.
    • 2.   Click on the Check My Cases link on the page labeled My Account.
    • 3.   Click on Child Support Enforcement Details located under Case Summary.
    • 4.   Click on the Child Support Enforcement Message Center link. 
    • 5.   Click on Submit a Question and send your question or information.